Wat is er Nieuw?
Zeewaterforum.info

U bezoekt ons forum als gast, wij zouden het leuk vinden als u zich registreert en aktief mee discussieert in de verschillende topics.

What’s going on at the Santa Monica Pier Public Aquarium this week

SantaMonicaHelp

ZeewaterForum lid
Help translate? (Help vertalen?)

Hello, everyone. My name is Kamran, and I am a helper here at Santa Monica Filtration. I am also an aquarist intern at the Santa Monica Pier Public Aquarium:

https://healthebay.org/aquarium/

I’ll be giving periodic updates regarding various going-ons at the aquarium, and if you have any requests for things you want me to find out about our creatures, feel free to share. I hope you all enjoy!

It is time for my first update. The Santa Monica Pier Aquarium is located beneath the front of the pier, with a big banner that says "aquarium". Every creature inside is native to Santa Monica Bay, with a few exceptions (ex: El Nino caused some Pacific seahorses to appear in our waters, which we collected and put in an exhibit). The purpose is to give visitors an idea of what's living in Santa Monica Bay. Because of this, most of our exhibits are modeled after a specific ecosystem (including the underside of the pier).

I attached some photos showing the aquarium’s location, the aquarium's entrance, and some exhibits. All of these photos are mine, except for the aerial photos. If you have any questions, please ask.

-Kamran

Bijlagen

• SMOPierArrow.jpg
    SMOPierArrow.jpg
    50,3 KB · Weergaven: 20
  • 23244236_1994226210592475_7226195482214586161_n.jpg
    23244236_1994226210592475_7226195482214586161_n.jpg
    38,1 KB · Weergaven: 21
  • 23231501_1994226143925815_2036732830603706007_n.jpg
    23231501_1994226143925815_2036732830603706007_n.jpg
    59,6 KB · Weergaven: 22
  • 23244040_1994226130592483_6855627629526150692_n.jpg
    23244040_1994226130592483_6855627629526150692_n.jpg
    68,6 KB · Weergaven: 25
  • 23316358_1994226133925816_97434654783842697_n.jpg
    23316358_1994226133925816_97434654783842697_n.jpg
    46,9 KB · Weergaven: 24
Hello again, everyone. One of our swell sharks recently emerged from its embryo, so for this week’s update, I thought I’d provide a summary of how the aquarium handles its shark offspring.

33wl18w.jpg

x5yu8m.jpg

Currently, we have two kinds of sharks on display: swell sharks (first photo) and horn sharks (second photo). Although both our sharks reproduce, the swell sharks do it more often and will be the focus of this post.

2ltqc6a.jpg

These are what swell shark embryos look like. These three are in a public tank, and we have many more in the back room.

33kpuu9.jpg

When a pup emerges from its embryo, it’s immediately moved to the quarantine tank seen in this photo. There are a lot of them, and only three horn shark embryos in comparison.

vzf0oy.jpg

Several things can happen to the pups after they are born. Sometimes, they’re moved to the public exhibit (pictured above), which is what happened to the newest pup. Other times they’re donated to other aquariums, and still other times they’re kept until they’re large enough for the main shark tank. It depends on how much room there is.

An adult swell shark spat water at me once. It was unpleasant.

-Kamran

For this week's update, I've decided to focus on our decorator since its appearance has been changing.

hwenwh.jpg

Decorator crabs like to cover themselves with plants for camouflage. Our decorator crab does this too, and over the past month, it's been adding things to its shell.

2lw1937.jpg

This is how it looked two weeks ago. It had molted recently, so its shell was uncovered.

261dtuo.jpg

The following week, it put on some kelp. When my coworker saw this, she added some redd algae to the tank, and a week later ...

2ue1n2x.jpg

... it put the algae on its legs.

We have other decorator crabs too, like juveniles and another adult. Here is a picture of its disguise:

215qtz.jpg

Also, here's an old molt that we preserved. The crab was much smaller back then ...

59xzph.jpg

jkhua1.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this update. Next week, I'll discuss one of our newer exhibits.

-Kamran

Dear Kamran,

thank you for your nice updates and the accompanying pictures. As this topic is in the chitchat section, I'm afraid this won't get much attention. Is it okay for you if I move this topic to the aquarium diary section (Aquarium Dagboeken)?

Cheers

Dear Kamran,

thank you for your nice updates and the accompanying pictures. As this topic is in the chitchat section, I'm afraid this won't get much attention. Is it okay for you if I move this topic to the aquarium diary section (Aquarium Dagboeken)?

Cheers

Yes, that is good. (Ja, dat is goed.)

-Kamran

This week’s update is about our newest exhibit. It features a species of planktonic jellyfish.

1594sw.jpg

Periodically, my boss goes to collect wild shrimp (Mysidae) to feed our Pacific seahorses. We keep them stored in a tank (pictured above) until it’s feeding time, but sometimes, we’ll get animals we weren’t trying to catch. Our accidental catches range from amphipods to pipefish larva, but the most common example is Vallentinia adherens. Their numbers got really high after a while…

bijuyv.jpg

…So in response, my boss decided to give them their own tank. We feed them brine shrimp, and they no longer get in our way when he feed the seahorses.

n2yjy1.jpg

2yzd8wh.jpg

At first my coworkers and I thought these were jellyfish larvae, and visitors tend to make the same assumption. But they’re definitely adults, and now they’ve gone from an accidental catch to a featured species. Hopefully the baby pipefish will get a tank when they’re older.

-Kamran

Hello, everyone. I am both happy and a little sad to present my final weekly update. Unfortunately, I’ve been busy with real life matters that are demanding more and more of my attention, and since my workload won’t be decreasing anytime soon, I’ve decided to discontinue this project to focus on other things. I didn’t intend for this to end so soon, but life happens.

Since this is my last update, I thought it would be fitting to feature my favorite aquarium creatures that never got their own post, complete with some background info for each one.

2agq2s6.jpg

This is a lion’s mane nudibranch. They’re fairly common in kelp forests, and my boss often finds them during his shrimp collections. They use their hoods to snare prey, and the ones at SMPA are fed with brine shrimp and the occasional fish powder. That stuff you see inside its body is its last meal.

2uf3p5d.jpg

This is our ocean whitefish, a resident of the “Under the Pier” exhibit. Whitefish are usually a creamy-white color, but this one is an unusual and ironic shade of black. It’s the most dominant fish in the tank and will often attack the algae scrubs when we try to clean the glass. (Also, the fish behind it is a kelp seabass)

23mpx52.jpg

Another abnormally colored animal is our red swamp crawfish. While most of our creatures are saltwater natives, the red swamp crawfish is neither saltwater nor native. As an invasive species, it is used as a bad example for our field trip presentations, but who could hate that rare shade of blue?

28tvqpw.jpg

Here’s our scorpionfish. It has stingers all over its body, and its venom is said to be like that of a rattlesnake’s. If you go fishing in California waters, you better hope you don’t catch one of these. The only safe way to get rid of it would be to cut the hook. They do sell protective gloves that are supposed to be stinger proof, but even these sometimes fail.

(cont...)

2qjvo75.jpg

And here’s our stargazer, who is located in the back room. It used to be on display, but was removed because the guests apparently found it boring (???). Nowadays it spends its time gazing at the stars, wondering where the roof went.

2qu6h7b.jpg

And now we’re getting to my favorite creature in the aquarium: the keyhole limpet! There are a bunch of these in the touch tanks, and the above photo is one of the very first I took as an intern. I love gastropods in general, but there’s just something about the keyhole limpets in particular.

aucj9c.jpg

Just like most of our sea snails, they feed on kelp, and their backside is usually covered by a slimy black mantle. However, the limpet that lives in our “Rocky Reef” exhibit always has its mantle fully retracted for whatever reason. Here’s a photo of it:

2rr6hlf.jpg

Also, the “keyhole” is used to expel waste. Good luck getting that image out of your head.

Lastly, I would like to present our newest addition:

w15j07.jpg

This is a bell jellyfish, and several of them are now sharing a tank with the planktonic jellies I showed off last week. They’re known to scientists as “Polyorchis,” which means, “many testicles”. No, that’s not a joke. I think the name refers to the eyes lining their rim. Just like their snowflake-shaped tank mates, they’re happy to feed on brine shrimp.

There you have it, folks. I wish I could’ve kept this thread going a bit longer, but the good news is that I at least managed to share my favorite aquarium facts. That said, I appreciate everyone who took the time to read these posts and learn about my experiences. I’ll still be reading replies for another day or two, but after that, I’m off to bigger and better things. Cheers!

-Kamran

Hope one day you'll find the time again to keep us posted.

Grtz,
Yves

Bovenaan